Abortion Pills are used to terminate unwanted or early age pregnancy in women. Abortion Pills are to be taken orally when the pregnancy is less than 49 days old and is Intrauterine. Mifepristone and Misoprostol are two types of Abortion Pills.
MTP Kit | Mifepristone and Misoprostol Abortion
What Is Mechanism of Action of Abortion Pill?
Mifepristone functions against progesterone hormone that is responsible for maintenance of pregnancy in women. It changes the lining of the uterus, softens and dilates the cervix and release endogenous prostaglandins. This in the end results in the disconnection of the fetus from the uterine lining.
Misoprostol induces uterine contractions in women. This leads to ejection of fetus from the womb of a female.
What Are The Conditions In Which The Use of Abortion Pill Is Not Advised?
- Do not use Abortion Pill, if you are allergic to Mifepristone and Misoprostol as it can result in severe hypersensitivity reactions.
- The use of Abortion Pill is not recommended, if the pregnancy is ectopic or more than 49 days old.
- If you are suffering from blood disorders such as Anemia and Leukemia, then avoid using Abortion pills.
What Are The Drug Interactions of Abortion Pill?
The parallel use of Abortion Pill with below mentioned medicines is not suggested as it can result in harmful effects.
- Azole Antifungal Drugs
- St. John’s Wort
How To Store Abortion Pill?
Abortion Pill should be stored at room temperature. Keep it away from the reach of Kids.
What Is The Right Dosage of Abortion Pill?
Dosage of Mifepristone Pill
Swallow 3 tablets of Mifepristone (200mg each) at the same time with a glass of water to induce abortion. If abortion does not takes place, then take two tablets of Misoprostol (200mcg each) via vaginal route to complete the process of abortion.
Dosage of Misoprostol Pill
A women has to take 12 tablets of Misoprostol (200mcg each) either via oral or vaginal route to induce abortion. Take 4 tablets of Misoprostol at an interval of 3-4 hours.
What to do in case of over dose?
Do not take Abortion Pill in more than recommended dose as it can lead to over-dosing. In case of emergency, contact your doctor straight away.
What Are The Side Effects of Abortion Pill?
The short-term adverse effects of Abortion pill are tiredness, lightheadedness, vomiting, painful cramps, vaginal blood loss, pain and infection in the pelvic region, etc.
What Safety Measures Should Be Followed While Using Abortion Pill?
- If you are using any Intrauterine Device (IUD), get rid of it before carrying out abortion.
- Do not take on in any kind of strenuous activity or intimate activity for a while after abortion procedure.
- Do not take abortion pill with alcohol as it can potentiate its damaging effects like dizziness and drowsiness.